If you are evaluating some type of care, Amdal In-Home Care is available to speak over the phone or in person to help you assess your situation. Some families use Amdal In-Home Care Care Coordinators to help them evaluate care options and to arrange many types of care for their loved ones. If the need for care has come on suddenly, there may be a steep learning curve while you sort out your options and investigate how you should proceed. Sometimes families use us to provide care in the home while they evaluate their options. While we cannot tell you how or what to decide, here are some questions/issues that may help you frame your situation:
- What are the immediate needs of the senior to remain safe and cared for?
- What family members or friends are willing and able to provide direct care?
- What are the wishes of the senior for care required?
- Have you done a thorough assessment of the financial resources of the senior to pay for care?
- Who are the emergency contacts for any issues that may arise?
- Have you evaluated all health insurance, life insurance, disability and worker’s comp insurance, and long-term care policies to determine what is covered?
- Are the loved-one’s medical providers involved in making recommendations, or ordering care services that may be covered by health insurance? Should they be?
- Who in the senior’s life is most willing and able to act as a representative in evaluating care options, and making decisions for the senior?
- Is the senior a Veteran or surviving spouse of a Veteran? If so, there may be VA benefits to which they are entitled.
- Have you contacted local organizations that are there to assist you in assessing care options, such as your local Area Agency on Aging?